DOROT’s Summer College Internship is a unique opportunity to explore the field of social work and other helping professions, while providing support to DOROT’s older adult constituents. The internship cohort works together and alongside the DOROT staff – learning from one another, while at the same time providing support to the aging community through various programs and projects that DOROT offers.
The Summer College Internship can fulfill college credit requirements with approval from an intern’s academic institution. All internship positions will be hybrid or fully in-person.
DOROT’s Summer College Internship Program runs 10 or 11 weeks, depending on one’s track and is open to students entering their sophomore, junior and senior years of study in the fall. The internship begins with a two-day orientation to prepare students for their roles and further introduce them to DOROT as well as their individual departments. Throughout the summer, interns are active participants at regularly scheduled professional development workshops, department, cohort and All Staff meetings.
Interns directly address and support DOROT’s mission of decreasing social isolation among older adults by bringing the generations together. In addition to department tasks, each intern is matched with at least one older adult client for some type of meaningful weekly engagement. All interns complete some amount of data entry and several will support our Impact and Evaluation Team by surveying our constituents to determine DOROT’s scope, reach and impact. Contacting older adults by phone for surveys, check-in calls and for programmatic reasons is routine. Interns should feel comfortable speaking on the phone or be willing to grow in this area. Click here to learn more about the available internship opportunities and roles.
Internship Opportunity Types and Parameters
10 Week Program
- Dates: Wed., May 29, 2024 – Thurs., Aug. 8, 2024
- Hours: Mon. – Thurs. – 9am-5pm
- Hybrid or in-person; all positions will be based at DOROT’s main office in Manhattan, with the exception of one Westchester placement in White Plains, NY
- Prospective department assignment will be shared prior to the second-round interview, if the candidate moves forward, and confirmed upon acceptance into the program
- APPLY HERE
11 Week Program
- Dates: Wed., May 29, 2024 – Fri., Aug. 16, 2024
- Hours: Mon. – Thurs. – 9:30am-5:30pm; Fri. – 9am-4pm (later hours will be required for two evening programs during the summer)
- In-person ONLY
- Department assignment – Intergenerational Program Engagement
- APPLY HERE
- Applications open – Nov. 30, 2023
- Interviews – Dec. 5, 2023 – Feb. 9, 2024
- Acceptances sent – Feb. 15, 2024 (additional acceptance rounds will be added, if needed)
We anticipate that all interns will be present for each working day throughout the internship. DOROT will be closed on June 12, 13, 19 and July 4 for holiday observances. (Please indicate any scheduling conflicts you may have on your application.)
Applicants who are accepted into the DOROT’s Summer College Internship program must have:
- Submitted an application and resume
- Completed two rounds of interviews on Zoom
- Provided references
- Submitted to a background check (cost covered by DOROT)
- Provided a valid, U.S. government-issued photo ID
- A personal computer (Mac or PC) to use each day of their internship, including their in-office days
Questions? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org